7 Interesting and Lesser Known Facts about AR Rahman
On the 50th birthday of the renowned music composer, here’s a compilation of some interesting facts about Rahman:
1. Born in Chennai as a kid, Rahman used to assist his father RK Shekhar, who was a music composer and conductor for Tamil and Malayalam films. He would play keyboard for the songs.
2. At the age of nine, Rahman accidentally played a tune on a piano while his father was recording for a film. RK Shekhar was so impressed with the tune that he developed it into a complete song and used it in one of his films.
3. When he was 11, Rahman started playing musical instruments in the orchestra of Malayalam composer MK Arjunan, who was a close friend of Rahman’s father.
4. Rahman served as a keyboard player and an arranger in a band named ‘Roots’, which featured his childhood friend and now noted percussionist Sivamani.
5. He is also the founder of the Chennai-based rock group ‘Nemesis Avenue’.
6. After converting to Islam, Rahman changed his name from RS Dileep Kumar to Allahrakka Rahman i.e. AR Rahman.
7. An unbelievable co-incidence, the name of Rahman’s wife is Saira Banu. Bollywood superstar Dilip Kumar is also married to renowned actress Saira Banu!